Transforming Individuals and Communities by “Paying it Forward”
Homes That Change Lives™ (HCL) is a community development network that provides a “home” for motivated individuals and nonprofit organizations to develop projects that help others by “paying it forward”.
- 28-year-old Matt is wheelchair bound and ventilator dependent due to muscular dystrophy.
- Matt was almost left in an institution where he most likely would have died until he was rescued by Ron, a compassionate respiratory therapist.
- Matt and Ron raised $30,000 to renovate an apartment so that Matt could live there independently, which he did for seven years, and THRIVED.
- Matt was nearly left homeless in 2007 when his landlord was foreclosed on.
- Matt and Ron turned “lemons into lemonade” – In 2008, Matt rolled across America 3,335 miles in his wheelchair from Boston to Long Beach, CA.
- When Matt returned, HCL convinced the housing authority to buy the foreclosed house so that Matt could stay.
- The City not only bought the house, but paid for repairs so that another person suffering from muscular dystropy would also have a home. Today, he is thriving just like Matt!
- Matt is currently nearing the end of his second roll across the country from Boston to Long Beach, attempting to set a Guinness World Record for the longest wheelchair trek ever.
Nonprofit and Special Project Incubation
HCL supports the growth of other community-based start-up nonprofits by serving as a fiscal sponsor. Some of HCL’s most exciting projects include:
- Lenoxx, Inc. – Lynn, MA: Comprehensive support services for people in need and an innovative model that provides them jobs immediately to help them get on their feet quickly.
- National Institute for Civic Enterprise (NICE Network) – Eustis, FL: A network of innovative human service nonprofit leaders/civic entrepreneurs, donors, and volunteers that speed up assistance to America’s needy. Developed by Debra Berg, best-selling author of The Power of One: The Unsung Heroes Rescuing America’s Cities.
- Green Beginnings Institute – Boston, MA: Promotes “green economy” opportunities for youth, veterans and small businesses in inner-city Boston neighborhoods.
- Ezra Community Development – Boston, MA: Provides housing counseling and loan modification to homeowners at risk of foreclosure.
Creative “Paying it Forward” Solutions
- National Real Estate Speakers and trainers: Tax-deductible donations of educational materials, courses, seminars and real estate. Make a difference while Uncle Sam supports you
- Banks: Donations of REO properties that will be transformed into useful community assets achieving synergistic goals.
- High-Net Worth Individuals and Corporate Philanthropists: Help identify compelling, strategically-focused and well-managed projects that individuals and corporations wish to support. Cash donations provide immediate support.
HCL’s Call to Action
Do what you know to be right.
Look after the well-being of mind and body.
Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
(from the Native American Commandments)
To learn more about HCL and our exciting projects, please visit our website at:
To make an immediate donation, please visit: